Five Fun Facts: Pooh for President
1) Winnie the Pooh ran for president during the 1968, 1972, 1976 and 1980 elections.
2) His ’68 election was kicked off at the Hollywood Bowl with these celebrity friends in attendance: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Mickey & Minnie Mouse, the Three Little Pigs, Peter Pan, Mary Poppins and Morey Amsterdam.
3) Pooh’s ’72 slogan was “Pooh in ’72” and he ran with the assistance of his campaign manager, Eeyore, and press secretary, Tigger. Pooh promised to put “hunny in every pot” and “‘lick’ the high price of ice cream cones.”
4) In 1976, Pooh took his campaign cross-country and visited Sears stores throughout the US. (He happened to come to Dallas and my sister and I were lucky enough to go see him with his “Uncle Sam” hat and everything! We even got a set of the drinking glasses.)
5) Larry Groce wrote and performed the “Pooh for President” song during the ’76 campaign. The song received a Grammy nomination for Best Recording for Children.
p.s. Rumor has it that Pooh was spotted backstage with Pat Buchanan when President Nixon gave his infamous “I am not a crook” press conference at Walt Disney World’s Contemporary Resort Hotel in 1973.